FRST (Farbar Recovery Scan Tool) is a free third-party tool that can be used for diagnostics and malware removal.
You can download FRST from one of the following links (the files will be downloaded from BleepingComputer.com), and then follow the instructions below to run it.
- If you're not certain which version of FRST to download, then download both of them.
- Since most web browsers save all downloads in your Downloads folder, we recommend copying it to your Desktop before proceeding.
- Once FRST is on your Desktop, you can double-click on the icon to run it (if you downloaded both versions of FRST, then note that only one of them will work on your computer, so just try each of them until one of them runs OK).
- Note: On Windows 10, when you run FRST you may see a notice that Windows has protected your computer. If you do, then please click More info and select to allow FRST.
- When you run the correct version of FRST, it will show you a disclaimer. You will need to click Yes to continue.
- Once the disclaimer closes, click on the Scan button on the left (roughly in the middle) to start the scan. Note that there is no need to select any additional scan options unless a member of our support team recommended you do so.
- When the scan is done, it will show dialogs telling you that it saved files named FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
- Click OK on these dialogs, and then close the Notepad windows that open.
- Close the FRST window.
- There will be two log files on your Desktop (or wherever you ran FRST from). On most computers those log files will look similar to the following:
- Please send a reply to the support representative who asked you to run FRST, and attach the FRST and Addition log files to your reply.
If you were in contact with our support team via e-mail, but are not used to attaching files to e-mails, then just look for a button or link in the toolbar above where you write your message that has a paperclip icon, and clicking that should allow you to attach files to your e-mail.